Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Challenge of a Chocolate Pie

Last week I stood before a large, intimidating mountain and dared to climb.  Here's my story.  Before I married my wonderful husband, my last name was Smith.  Being raised a Smith means certain things.  Smith's love Jesus.  Smith's support the Dallas Cowboys.  We laugh a lot and food is at the center of it all.  Our family gatherings revolve around a menu of traditional Smith favorites.  Who is cooking what, when will we eat it and how soon can we plan the next meal are central questions to be addressed.

Among our food traditions and addictions, there is one special dish that rises to the top.  My mother's chocolate pie.  Everyone who knows my mother knows she is a great cook.  People love my mama's cooking.  The woman can prepare anything she sets her whisk to.  In our family there are several recipes we always want mom to fix but none can compare to...The Chocolate Pie.

That's why no one else in our family ever dares to make it.  Until one day last week I decided to climb that mountain. We had special guests staying at our house.  As an expression of my love for these friends, I wanted to make a special dessert.  It doesn't get any more special than The Chocolate Pie.  I'd had my mom's recipe for years but never dared to actually attempt it.  How could it possibly compare?! No way!!  My mom laughs at my trepidation, but my apprehension was justified.  I was scared to follow in my mom's footsteps.  Has anyone ever heard of Picasso, Jr. the great painter or Einstein the second, the great thinker?  I didn't think so.

In the Old Testament, a guy named Joshua had his own mountain to climb.  He'd been trained up under Moses to succeed him but when the time came...well, holy cow, how do you follow freaking Moses?!  In Joshua 1:1-9 God boosts Joshua's confidence with these words, "(v.3) I will give you every place where you set your foot..(v.5) No one will be able to stand up against you; I will never leave you nor forsake you...(v.6) Be strong and courageous...(v.7) Be strong and very courageous...(v.8) Be careful to obey everything I tell you...(v.9) Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Does God know how to give a pep talk or what?! Yes, Joshua had big shoes to fill.  Who could blame him for feeling a little intimidated?  God said Joshua could do it.  Joshua believed God.  Joshua obeyed God.  Joshua saw God come through. 

Well, it doesn't quite compare to entering the Promised Land, but I made that pie.  After several calls to my mom for support it was finished.  By listening to her encouragement and following her recipe the pie turned out great. 

What mountain stands in front of you?  What is God asking you to do that scares you?  If God says you can do it, then you can!  Believe Him.  Obey Him.  See God come through then we can celebrate.  I'll bring pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment